Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How to Use Social Networks!


Building a Contact List Through Social Networks!

I have learned how to use social networks to not only meet new business associates, but, also, to meet up with old ones as well. In creating my profiles and looking for associates to network with, I have noticed an over-whelming amount of people using these communities are new to this environment and are looking for some help about what to do. Therefore, let me give a few techniques I use to build my social network's contact list. Some techniques I have learned through video training and some through trial and error, but these techniques work and will work for you, too. So let me begin!
STEP ONE - COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE
Most people upload their name and picture and then stop there...hoping a flood of people will try and get in contact with them. As with anything in life, YOU must spend the time to fill in as much information as possible (truthfully) to get the maximum benefit of the social network. Would you feel comfortable trying to do business with someone who has no information besides their picture and name...and then having the person say check out what I am offering? I wouldn't give that person the time of day. Albeit, some people are new at this and have not gotten around to filling out their profile, but it is something that is a must and should have some time dedicated for its completion. What I've learned online is that you never know who you might meet; some person could be holding the last piece of the success puzzle you are assembling or could become a life long customer, or better yet, a life long friend.

Take the time to give a description of yourself, where you are from, some info about your business, your education, hobbies and the such. Imagine you meet a business contact looking to invest money into a new product or idea, and it was because the person first noticed you read the same books or liked the same hobbies? The possibilities are endless when you've taken the time to seriously provide valuable information about yourself.

STEP TWO - ACTIVELY SEEK FRIENDS
In the event you did take the time to fill out your profile completely, your friendship level will only trickle into shape unless you actively search to network with people. That means taking some time to build your friendship base. I like to take a few hours on Saturday nights to just browse other profiles and ask for friendship. Once you are out on the networking trail, others will start to see your profile appear more often and friendship requests will start coming your way as well. It becomes a win-win situation for everyone. In this environment, power of numbers is king and builds credibility beyond belief. The more friends you have and continue to seek, the more other people will seek connection with you.

Here are some tips on how I quickly apply for friendships: I click the browse profiles link at the top of the page. I set my search criteria to find people looking for networking opportunities...this will bring me a relevant search of people I may be interested in asking for friendship. Start with the first person and right-click their link and select open in new tab. Look at the profile and see if there is a common interest. If they meet your criteria, click the 'add to contact' link; if not, then close the tab. Repeat the process. Do this once a week and your contact based will grow easily. You'll notice your friend requests are accepted and that others want to be friends with you. It works exponentially!

STEP THREE - COMMENT ON PROFILES
The next tip to speed the growth of your friendship base mixes with your time spent actively searching for connections because it follows what to do once you have made a new friendship or contact with someone (regardless of who requested the adding). It is taking the time to go to each new friend's profile page and leaving a comment. Doing this shows people you are active and are a strong candidate to help build traffic to their profile page and offer. So, doing this will bring new friend requests from your contact's friends and other people searching profiles like yours. Your contact base will grow two-fold for this time and effort. Comments don't have to be long and winded, but must be made. I like to employ the use of small quotes or positive sayings. I, rarely, add links in my comments because I want the people to click on my profile link and come connect with me at the network first. After we connect at the social network site, then they can view my offers and opportunities.

CONCLUSION – YOU NEVER KNOW
I conclude with the re-statement of 'you never know who you may meet.' You may meet someone that does the same thing you do, and it gives you more ideas that you haven't thought of before. It happened to me last week with a gentleman named Warren. I got so many ideas from his profile page and websites, I was in disbelief of not thinking of those types of strategies before … now, Warren can be sure I will be a regular visitor to his profile and as of today, he is a regular visitor of mine. And in the middle we will probably be working together on some type of online endeavor. Touché!

Copyright © 1-30-2009 Eric Smith    Revised © 11-11-2010 Eric Smith
____________________________________________________________

If you'd like a pdf copy of this post, CLICK HERE 

(opens in new window)

____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment